Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Gathering For A Calm Christmas

 In order to have a calm Christmas some ingredients must be gathered together.


Yesterday I ordered 25 new candles for my Emanuel Wreath, dusted off the Cable and Cotton lights, and searched for my favorite advent guide. It seems early but day to day life often gets in the way of gathering supplies. If I have everything ready then I'm not tempted to re-purchase supples that I can't find in the last moment. Of the Five Stories of Christmas the Faith Story is most important to me. Each year I add another layer of experience to the many sacred Christmas memories of the past. 

In my memories, my mother gathered Christmas together early. She bustled about in November buying a little of the spices, nuts, and chocolate for the coming weeks. She always made the Advent wreath herself which meant gathering boughs and pinecones, ribbons and candles. So much of Christmas is preparation, sacred and secret. 


Before


Before Mary set out for Bethlehem

What preparations did she make?

Did she ponder making Him a diadem?

A crown, to honor his namesake?


Did she make the swaddling clothes,

Of borrow them from a cousin?

What details did she choose not to disclose?

Were they a few or maybe a dozen?


I gather the objects that bring the story

Into my time and into my space,

Light, scents, reminders of his glory,

Things that testify of His grace.


"What we need is a way to marry what matters to us with what matters to those we love, and let go of the rest."

Beth Kempton, A Calm Christmas



                                                       Click here to go back to A Calm Christmas homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?