Monday, December 12, 2022

Mindful Giving

                                                                                                              Presence

  Everyone is buying presents

Ordering, combing the store shelves,

  But perhaps missing the essence

Of what makes us love the elves.


  The elves are busy in the workshop,

They are in the presence of the giver.

   And their Christmas making doesn’t stop 

Until everyone has something to deliver.


   The giver doesn’t always bring stuff

Sometimes he brings his very presence.

   To many this is better than fluff

  Because we learn of his divine patience.


                                                                                          



 I find gifting difficult. In saying this it may reveal my selfish nature. I want to find the perfect gift but most often I end up giving something I'd like to have. Each season I try to find the way around my ineptness. This year I experimented with a new idea. I took two visiting grandchildren to a quaint country store in my town. I told them that I wanted to support this local seller so they could take their time and find something that they loved. A budget was set and off we went. The store sold a variety of clothing, household gifts, specialty foods, and art supplies. I watched as they looked in every nook and corner. My grandson took a liking to a ceramic, painted pear with a detachable lid which had the stem of the pear. He fantasized about what he would put into the pear, first jam and then maybe his pencil collection. I was surprised. This was something I would never buy for him myself but he was sure about his choice. My granddaughter looked at everything but kept returning to some pink leather gloves with the softest fur around the top. Again, I wouldn't have made that choice because I didn't think she like pink. 

What did I learn from this experience? We went together and we were in each other's presence. I watched them deliberate and make a choice. I was inspired by their choice because it revealed something about them. 

The Calm Christmas book lists three giving guideposts:
Is it mindful?
Is it meaningful?
Is it memorable?

I think our presence is the most meaningful gift.


Click here to go back to the Calm Christmas main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?