Friday, August 31, 2012

A Design Mom In My Family

  One of my favorite series on the blog Design Mom is "Living With Kids". Gabrielle interviews mothers who create a beautiful home amidst a passel of kids. While visiting my great niece, she is great and the daughter of my niece, I saw some wonderful ideas in her home.


   Corianne decorates to show her love of family and her ability to create with her hands. Coming from a family who can sew and design original ideas, she has established a style of her own.
  Starting in her sanctuary, her bedroom, I could see the neutral palette giving comfort and peace to the room.


   Her favorite purchase is the five dollar sheet. If the color is right she can make curtains, wall hangings, and many more accessories.


    If she can carve out a few minutes to read, with four children, you can find her in her own nest.


  The only girl gets some feminine accents to invite her to do schoolwork. Corianne uses fabric to line the back of bookcases and adheres it with spray starch which makes the fabric removable.


Reading is important in this family and a cozy place to read is available to each child.


   A simple way to add a bookshelf is to use a length of rain gutter. The books are held secure and invite    the boys to snuggle up with a book, just like Mom.


 "I can make that by myself," is a phrase I heard often as I toured this home. The beds in the boys room were sturdy and held wonderful storage opportunities.

 
                 Need a desk? Make one yourself and add your own style with decorative touches.


   In a coming post I will share some of the innovative things downstairs in her pre-school. She teaches four sessions a week and these children are lucky to have such a colorful and creative space for learning. Aren't Moms amazing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?