Friday, October 16, 2015

The Delta Is Green

 I am joining Kate Motaung and others who are writing every day in October. My intention is to record my reactions and feelings about Brené Brown's newest book, "Rising Strong". You can find the other posts I have written here.     
 

  When we rumble (analyze, consider, agonize) over a story a division occurs. The story- telling reveals the parts we have made up to protect ourselves and the truth which has become obscured with the shoulds and can'ts. In between a delta rises which holds the "key learnings". 


"Deltas are where rivers meet the sea. They are marshy, full of sediment, and forever changing. They are rich and fertile area of growth. This is where we need to do our work- our key learnings emerge from the delta."



   In the story of my grandson Alex the confabulations that came gushing out of his heart were:

  • He was not good enough at playing the piano
  • I was giving him easier music because I also did not think he was good enough 
  The truths he did not want to deal with were

  • Practicing is frustrating sometimes  
  • There is always someone better than you are and comparing robs you of joy
  In the green, fertile delta, some wisdom emerged for him. Music is satisfying and makes him happy. I loved him and wanted to have this musical relationship with him. More on the delta coming up.



DaySpring.com is celebrating all of the amazing Write 31 Days readers who are supporting nearly 2,000 writers this October! To enter to win a $500 DaySpring shopping spree, just click on this link & follow the giveaway widget instructions. Good luck, and thanks for reading!     

9 comments:

  1. I love this analogy to the delta and your grandson at the piano. How interesting, a class I'm taking at church was just talking about Brene Brown and the should's and the can'ts. I wrestle with finding the enjoyment in the midst of practicing what I love. So glad I got to comment on your post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for visiting, Christina. Brené's work is showing up in many places.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful. And I love how you mention something I think we all forget at times: comparing ourselves to others rob us of our joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an absolute TRUTH. I wish I had embraced it sooner.

      Delete
  3. Ah yes...the delta...the marshy, messy, swampy delta. A place I'm learning to know more and more! Just read through and caught up with your posts so far..just so lovely the depth and introspection and application you're doing here. There is so much richness in Brene's book and I love getting to know you more in how you are applying it to your life and so generously sharing with us here. I'm with you, working on my seeing my reckoning, spilling my sfd's, getting curious about my emotions, and rumbling with my stories...I think it will be a lifelong process. And I'm just so surprised by the quantity of all my stories. I think I say the phrase "the story I'm making up right now is..." at least once a day to my husband! Crazy how awareness and the commitment to whole-heartedness takes us on a journey that is hard, but so much better than the hustle. Love getting to know you through this series...and your art!! Beautiful. Sending much love today...Write On!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that about the definition of the word delta. I learned something new today. Great post. I'm parked in the #17 spot today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh Gabriele, what a clever idea! I can feel some delta navigating coming on today....! Such a useful exercise to identify the confabulations and truths in this manner: like a 'pros and cons' list for self-reflection. Excellent stuff. Helen (Will email you tomorrow...)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?