Saturday, December 17, 2022

Anticipation

  Let Go

                                                     A wise woman with a dozen children once told me,

                                                                Let go of your expectations and just be.

                                               Be what, I asked hoping she would show how to proceed.

                                                       Be faithful, be kind, be good with no guarantees. 

                                                       I scoffed. I so needed to claim my own destiny.

                                                 It will claim you, she said, who you become is the key.



Christmas is one week away and I'm up this morning very early staring at my little tree in the dark. The sculpture my father made of me when I was nineteen is looking expectantly. What is she thinking? Are you ready for Christmas? Has it been a hassle preparing on top of your normal life? Have you spent time with Jesus in honoring your Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother? Have you been faithful, have you been kind, have you been good for goodness sake?

Most of the gifts are under the piano but the mail hasn't delivered everything, yet. Invitations are out to family and decisions have been made about where we will be Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I've been writing about a calm Christmas for more than a month. Have I felt the calm peace of this season more this year?
Here are some precious moments of these last few weeks:
  • Shopping with grandkids and observing what they think is special
  • Participating every Sunday in a Zoom advent celebration with extended family
  • Making a Gingerbread house with my grandson on his December birthday
  • Taking a walk and coming upon a nativity scene in the woods
  • Playing Christmas duets with my piano students
  • Sharing scripture insights with my granddaughter almost everyday
  • Hanging last year's Christmas paintings
  • Writing every morning
  • I wrote some poems






So far, so good. This season is percolating in my very bones. I am at peace.


Click here to go back to the Calm Christmas main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?