Sunday, December 4, 2022

Baptism By John

 A Messenger Of The Covenant

   The crowd on the banks of the Jordan

Part, and watch as one they called Jesus

  Removes his sandals and steps in.

John, the Baptist, showing that God sees us,

  Takes his virtuous arm and steadies him,

Immersing this holy messenger in living water,

   Water and light that can never grow dim,

Through covenant, even I am His daughter.


Art by Greg K. Olson


Malachi 3:1 “Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts.”

How intimate and holy this moment becomes as the Perfect One is baptized by imperfect John, his cousin, who has prepared the way for many souls to receive Jesus. They are both messengers of the covenant from our Heavenly Parents. They have known each other while still in the womb of Elizabeth and Mary. They both walk in the path of righteousness. They both defer to their Heavenly Father. There is love between them. John lifts Jesus by performing an ordinance that marks the path. Jesus lifts John by being the path, the way to eternal life. Heavenly Father announces his Son to all who have ears to hear and the Holy Ghost descends to verify and seal. I see and feel the loving kindness, hesed, in this account. I too, have had a representative, like John, baptize me. It was my brother, Ingo, and my other brother, Peter, conferred the Holy Ghost upon me. It marked my path back to my Father and Mother.

A calm Christmas reminds me of my covenants.


Click here to go back to the Calm Christmas main page


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?