Sunday, December 18, 2022

Being In The Sheepfold

The Sheepfold

   When Jesus asked Simon Peter

“Lovest thou me?” Didn’t He know?

    More than an inch, more than a meter,

How far would Peter really go,

  To care for the most precious flock?

Would he tend to all the their varied needs?

  On the gate, would he secure the lock?

The sheep go wherever the Shepherd leads.


Artwork by Eva Timothy



  The apostle John recounts how Jesus referred  to himself as the Good Shepard and invited us to use this simile to explore how a Shepard, more specifically a Shepard in his time, cared for sheep. Their life was lived outdoors with the flock. Securing a place to feed was a priority and the greener the pastures the better the outcome. Often an animal required aid because of injury and the Shepard knew how to remove thorns and bind up wounds. He knew them by name and secured them in the fold at night. In the New Testament John warns about hirelings. To be hired to temporarily care for the folk did not guarantee the hired hand was committed to the sheep. Jesus is not a hired hand. He loves the flock of sheep his Father gave him, enough to die for them.



The Lord is my Shepherd; 
no want shall I know.
I feed in green pastures; 
safe-folded I rest.
He leadeth my soul 
where the still waters flow,
Restores me when wand’ring,
redeems when oppressed,

Thru the valley and shadow 
of death though I stray,
Since thou art my Guardian, 
no evil I fear.
Thy rod shall defend me, 
thy staff be my stay.
No harm can befall with 
my Comforter near

In the midst of affliction 
my table is spread.
With blessings unmeasured 
my cup runneth o’er.
With perfume and oil thou 
anointest my head.
Oh, what shall I ask of 
thy providence more?

David, the psalmist knew the Good Shepard, and we can know him too. He has been my guardian through many harrowing moments. Taking Him as my guide through this Christmas season brings such comfort and calm.


Click here to go back to the Calm Christmas main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?