Thursday, December 15, 2022

Hearth And Home

 Winter 

   Rain, rain, rain, snow and sleet,

Keep the water at my feet.

   Whipping wind in my face,

I so love this tempestuous place.


  Looking for some signs of Spring

Listening for the birds that sing,

  When some sun comes peeking through

I’ll be ready for something new.



It is not officially winter yet, seven days until, but the short days are signally that we are in the darkest part of the year. Now is the time for hearth and home to have predominance. Christmas is always calmer when I have cozy corners throughout the house. Those are the places I retreat to in the early morning and late night hours. Do you have memories of siting underneath the Christmas tree, lights twinkling above your head? Those memories are filled with hope and love.





And what about your advent wreath? Does lighting a candle each Sunday bring a feeling of connectedness to the Savior, Jesus Christ, who is the reason for the season? Last year I purchased a wooden candle holder with 25 holes. Each slot for a candle has a title or name of Jesus engraved on the side. I have a tradition now at Christmas and Easter of lighting one candle  every morning. On the 25 day the whole wreath is ablaze with warmth and light. 



And what about your actual hearth? The reason we say hearth and home is because the hearth was a symbol of home. In years past the hearth heated and provided a place to prepare food. Much of the daily chores of living happened around the hearth. Take the 'h' off hearth and we have heart of the home. I do have a fireplace, which we don't really use, but much of my Christmas decoration is on the mantle and above the mantle. I find my eyes settling on my mantle often during the day and it  provides a calm resting visual place.



The last, but not least, place for Christmas calm is my piano. Here my piano students play their beautiful seasonal pieces every day. It is here that I come to rehearse a piece for church. It is here that I play just for myself when the night draws closer. It could very well be the heart of my home.


My piano by Pam Ingalls


A calm Christmas does have it's center at home. May all our homes feel more like heaven this Christmas. For many this may not be true but I wish it were so.


Click here to go back to the main calm Christmas page.







No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?