Monday, January 16, 2023

Naming A Painting

 How do I name my paintings?
I don't often have a name for a painting. Below is the painting "Trust Your Journey". I think you can tell how I named this one. The white enamel cup did have these words but the focal point of the painting was supposed to be the Pfefferkuchen alongside. Because of the color of the cup and the placement of the words the eye goes right to the middle.


Below is a painting entitled 'The Pen is Stronger Than the Sword". I hope the image conveys the message even without the title but if not, the title is essential. This painting may go into a non-fiction work my brother is writing.


This painting can only have the name "Wally". Wally is a Burmese Mountain dog and a force in his own right. When he moves by it's best to be on sure footing. He has the endearing way of laying out on his belly with his legs stretched behind him. I put my camera on the floor in front of him to capture this shot. The painting is owned by his family and often he lays right under the painting as if he knows it is his image. 




One last painting with a title. This one is "Yarn Bowl" Obviously it is a yarn bowl, made by a friend. I loved the color of the clay bowl so much that I matched my yarn to the bowl. The yarn ball spins around inside when I am knitting. 



           Entitling a painting is optional in my opinion. Some paintings, like these above, have titles that seem natural to the subject, but I can see if a painting creates a mood then an evocative title would draw the observer into the canvas. Years ago I had a small show of my art. Each piece I displayed had to have a name to differentiate it from the others. That was hard so long after creating the piece. Maybe I should think of a name as I finish each piece of art. Maybe......


                                       Click here to go back to the 21 Days In My Art World main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?