Monday, January 2, 2023

My Favorite Oil Painting



       My Favorite

  The colors are rich and vibrant.

They complement, they make whole,

  Primary colors into alignment 

Was the over-arching goal.


  Light penetrates the canvas

And sets the paint aglow.

  I can’t say I understand this,

But this one I can’t let go.






      Last year my favorite painting was a very large acrylic hanging in my living room.  I still love the autumn colors in that painting very much. But, this year it is the pumpkin, much smaller, but my eye loves to roam over the canvas. There are endearing squiggles of running paint which were serendipitous surprises. These "happy little accidents" are almost like journal entries as they bring up the past moments of painting with clarity. I remember the room, the smell, the moment of doubt as to how to fix the mistake. I chose to just let it dry and it was the best choice. 

   The orange and blue are complementary colors. I learned just recently that this means they "make complete or perfect the central, fundamental role of the primary colors as the theoretical parents and progenitors of all colors. Any two complements contain the complete trio of primaries." 

     Color by Betty Edwards 

  This idea makes me want to apply it to music. Do the primary chords of a key contain all the sounds possible within that key. Are they the parents and progenitors of all sound?

   Do we as God's children make complete or perfect the central, fundamental role of the Godhead?

  I'm just exploring. I don't have the answers but guess what? This makes me love my painting more.


                                                        Click here to go back to 21 Days In My Art World.

                                                                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?