Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Largest Painting

 Painting large requires room to anchor the canvas and a lot of paint. This is an acrylic painting and canvas size is 3 feet by 3 feet. I entitled it "Fischer Pond In Autumn" and it hangs in my piano teaching space. My process was to lay down many, many layers of paint, first warm colors and then cool. I let the layers run into each other by spraying them with a light mist of water.


There wasn't a vision at the beginning. I was just laying down paint and almost finger painting. But then I looked at the bottom third and decided to change the direction of the paint. A tranquil water scene emerged and I envisioned the pond, surrounded by the change of colors. One of the distinct aspects of the pond is the plant life and in the autumn only the stems of the water lilies poke out of the water. Painting these abstract lines in various directions seemed to anchor the painting. What was once a mess of color settled into a horizon, reflection, and living plant life. I haven't attempted this size again but I do have an empty canvas waiting upstairs. 

Don't be afraid to hang a large painting on a wall. The colors and brushwork will invite you into the artwork and you will grow to love the moment in time you have immortalized. 

                                        
                                                        Click here to go back to the 21 Days In My art World main page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?