Sunday, January 15, 2023

Sold!

 Making art doesn't necessarily mean that it must be sold in order to be a valid piece of art. Selling a piece of art can be simply accepting the value someone else has placed on my work. 


My friend and I were at an art show yesterday. We moved from artist to artist and and shared our responses to their paintings. Some of them moved us deeply and will be remembered. She reminded me that she purchased one of my very early collages. It was entitled "The View" and had a cat looking out of an open window while an owl peered in from the outside. I listened to her interpretation of the piece and it felt as if we were talking about something foreign to me. When she took it home years ago it became part of her story and no longer was sorely my creation. That is entirely normal and fine. It is part of the creation process. I do however find it strange that a piece of art comes from inside of one person and then as it lives with a new owner it changes in meaning, strange but magical.



The hen was purchased by a friend and now resides back East. I can't imagine the life the hen must be living but I am very grateful she lives with such a good and kind person.


The bottom left painting of the dog was purchased by an online friend who lost her and was grieving over her loss. I did my best to capture her beloved pet in a most joyous setting. It wasn't perfect but I was very satisfied by bringing this pet back to a visual life.
Selling or giving art doesn't mean it has to be perfect. It means it attempts to be genuine. We attempt to make something that is a representation of who we are or were. 


                                           Click here to go back to 21 Days In My Art World main page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?