Sunday, October 27, 2019

Curiosity

31 Days In October 





I take heart as I see the objects I've completely finished. 

Those are the FO's (Finished Objects). There are many and I hope that in years to come there will be many published books. That's my dream.


Day 27-

Writing and knitting are both labor intensive. As a project gets close to being done I get very focused on the finish line. There is a danger at that point.


Why should I stay curious when I am so close to the end? I have the pattern instructions and I am frantically knitting the  ribbed hem. I see that I am making yarn overs unintentionally. Do I frog back or keep going and live with my mistakes? 
The question I am not asking is why. Why am I making those mistakes? Am I curious? No! I'm almost done and I'm going for the finish line.

I feel the same way as I write the last chapter of Rubato. I have a sense that my characters are rushing into summation without full purpose of heart. At this point do I ask why? 
The correct answer is yes. 

Just because the end is in view doesn't mean I cheat myself of an excellent finale. Even on the last row or the last paragraph I can still ask, "Shall I redo this? Could I do it better?"






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?