Saturday, October 26, 2019

Getting Closer To the End

31 Days In October






The best thing about having a favorite theme is the structure. I can know what I am creating and get adventuresome with the inside details.


Day 26-
In novel writing there is getting to the end and then there's GETTING TO THE END.
When I wrote the last chapter of Rubato I felt such relief. The story was finished. 

“Are you disappointed in Judith?” Stevie asked.
 “Disappointed? In her decisions? Maybe, but I learned so much from her about music. I am more resolved to be an inspired musician because of Judith.”
Reggie signaled that they needed to leave. He was amazed at how long they had stayed. 
Stevie reached into her pocket and handed Linda her card. “Call me if you have any concerns. I will let you know how the trial ends up.”
“Thank you. I will be thinking about Judith’s book. Someone should publish it. And, I hope the autograph manuscripts are made available online.”
Stevie couldn’t help herself. She reached out to Linda and pressed her into an embrace. 

I had the chapters laid out in front of me then carefully put them in a folder. For many weeks I left them on my shelf. I wanted to believe I was done. 
But just like that sweater, hanging in my kitchen, body finished, ribbing along the bottom done, right sleeve finished and left sleeve.......almost done, there is still work ahead. 
In the knitting world there is sewing in the ends and blocking. For writers there is editing and editing, then navigating the world of publishing.
I take heart as I see the objects I've completely finished. 

Those are the FO's (Finished Objects). There are many and I hope that in years to come there will be many published books. That's my dream. 

Go to the next day





No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?