Saturday, October 12, 2019

What Is A WIP?

31 Days In October





Still I made that error, over and over. 
UNTIL.......
I had more experience. 
Mistakes happen. Be patient. You didn't do it on purpose.


Day 12-
A WIP is a knitting term meaning work in progress.
 Knitters seem to have many projects going at the same time. Personally I like having at least two. That way when I get stuck on one of them I can lay it aside and pick up the other.


There is a badge of honor in finishing WIP's in a timely fashion. That is why I knit items that are fun to wear. Increasing my wardrobe of knitted items is the overall goal. Right now I have two items on my needles, a Seventh Sister Capelet and my second Turtle Dove sweater. 

In my novel writing world, I have two WIP's.
Rubato is finished and going through another edit. My detective Reggie Watts and Stevie Dangerfield successfully solve the murder of a beautiful music professor who is found dead by two private students. A missing Franz Liszt autograph manuscript is at the heart of the story. This book should be available early 2020. 


And, there is a sequel, The Gymnopédist. This time Reggie and Stevie investigate the death of a young man who attempts a wire walk across the Highland Park bell towers. His fall is suspicious. Who would want this boy dead? His love for Erik Satie makes this case especially interesting to Stevie who was on a path to becoming a professional classical pianist when she uncharacteristically decided to change her major to criminal law. You can follow along as I leave chapters of this book on my blog. When I finish it, it will no longer be available here but that time has not yet arrived so take a peek. 

Having several knitting WIP's is like having two unfinished novels. Working on the edits of Rubato made me more aware and excited by the relationship developments between my two detectives in The Gymnopédist. Truly, my knitting stays more interesting when I alternate between the sweater and the capelet. 






2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think that having a couple of works in progress to work on helps the creative process. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see the value of working on more than one thing at a time. And I love how you're incorporating your love for music into your novels.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?