Saturday, October 19, 2019

Using What You Know

31 Days In October




Just like I eased in some new stitches into my sweater I also eased Yolanda into my story. The new character had an important purpose; the new stitches allow room for the body of the sweater to grow.


Day 19-

When contemplating a scene in my book I knew I wanted to have my characters meet in a restaurant. I chose to use what I know, a restaurant in Seattle which my husband and I frequent often. It is his favorite barbecue place. Going there mentally was easy.

     Reggie drove while Stevie gave him directions to the restaurant. They were in an industrial section of Seattle. Businesses with drab corrugated steel buildings lined each side of the road. The area was attracting newer entrepreneurs. Renovated old factories were turning into offices, providing smaller rent prices than in the middle of the city. Stevie directed him to turn left into a parking lot next to an outdoor eating area with twinkle lights hanging from wooden posts. As they pulled in at Jack’s Barbecue, Reggie smiled a large, wide grin. Jack’s was one of his favorite restaurants. He never would have guessed that two music professors would do lunch here. Stevie and her mother were breaking all the stereotypical images he had of music academics. Maybe if they had barbecue sauce on their hands he would feel less intimidated by their talk of Liszt and music fragments. 
    “Jack’s has the best brisket I’ve ever tasted.” Reggie felt his mouth watering at the prospect of a really excellent lunch.
     “You have been here then?” Stevie asked.
     “More than once.” 
     They looked around for Angelika. She was not there yet. They settled to wait on a large brown couch in the front area. 
     “I am a little surprised at the choice of restaurant.” Reggie said, wondering what Stevie thought.
     “So am I. A vegetarian place seemed more my mother’s liking. But, don’t pre-judge Sydney. She could be a down home southern gal.”
      “Your mother is a vegetarian?”
      “Not really, but she likes to eat light so I hope she finds something here on the menu.” 
       Two middle aged women entered, Reggie recognized Angelika. The other woman taller, had silver hair cut short and on a slant. She looked very stylish as she greeted a thin, bespectacled man at the door.  
      “Jack! How lovely to see you.” She was gushing with enthusiasm. 
      “That is Sydney Cabine,” whispered Stevie.
      “And the man greeting her is the owner.” Reggie whispered back. 
      “You are always welcome here and let me find you the best table.”

 Using something familiar isn't the easy thing as much as it is the way to invite creativity without the challenge of inventing something new.

The Asymmetrical Scarf design is very familiar. I have made three previous items with that design.


Each time I make it I use different yarn, different weight and different colors. Sometimes I add my own spin on the stitches used. The movements are familiar and comforting. 

New designs await me but I know I will often go back to the familiar.




1 comment:

  1. There is something very comforting about the familiar sometimes, and there is a lot of sense in writing about what you know!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?