Wednesday, October 2, 2019

The Decision Needs a Catalyst

                                                       31 Days in October 



      As I compare these two pursuits you will hopefully see how I came to try them, struggled to learn some skills, and eventually came to embrace them as life long activities.

October 2-

So you want to learn a new skill? Maybe you admire someone's expertise or long to have a finished project but don't know how to start. 

You need a catalyst to launch your decision.

Catalyst: def., an agent that provokes or speeds significant change or action.

For me it was watching my daughter knit and produce beautiful clothing. Her love of fiber and artistry inspired me to try my hand and she promised to teach me how to start. 




The catalyst for my attempt to write a novel came from a suggestion to join NaNoWriMo in November.



NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, helps you track your progress, set milestones, connect with other writers in a vast community, and participate in events that are designed to make sure you finish your novel. Oh, and best of all, it’s free! It felt like I had some accountability and I enjoyed watching my word count go up everyday.



I'm convinced that there is a time for everything and when the catalyst appears I suggest you give in and take the leap of faith. 



Tomorrow I write about the joy of getting started and gathering supplies, always the best part. 

The next day



1 comment:

  1. I like your observation that deciding to learn something new can be like taking a leap of faith. Other people definitely can play a big part in inspiring us to give these things a try!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?