Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Take A Class

31 Days In October 


So what do you do if your book character or your yarn misbehaves? 
Get to know them better. 


Day 23-

Last Spring I made a really good choice to take a writing class from my local arts center. The teacher was a published writer with a MFA in English. We started the class with seven students, the youngest a high school student and the oldest a retired librarian. We were all writing in different genres. Laurel, our instructor, believed that reading our work aloud gave the most specific feedback to the writer and to the listeners. She was correct. When I read aloud from my book I could hear the parts that worked and the parts that didn't work sounded awkward. As a listener I realized how my attention span wavered. Each of us gave critique after the reader finished. Sometimes when it was my turn to comment I realized I couldn't remember what I had heard. Hearing and giving criticism was difficult; most of it was kind and helpful.  I had to focus on my desire to be a better writer and welcome growth.
Within three weeks I felt safe with these new friends. I think I was really lucky to be with these women. Many of us are still together in our bi-monthly group.

So, to be honest I've never taken a live knitting class. I do plan to go to Vogue Live in Seattle in the Spring. That should be invigorating. U-Tube tutorials are a main stay for my instruction. I like Very Pink Knits for her clarity and wide scope of instruction.

If you want to give your skill level a boost, take a class. You may feel like you are back on the floor again, but hey, the view is really interesting.







No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?