Thursday, October 10, 2019

What's My Point Of View

31 Days In October




The little twists, called cables, on this mitten pattern made me want to learn just like the detectives in my novel made me want to write about murder.


Day 10-
My writing teacher used to turn to me and with that knowing look in her eyes proclaim that yet again, I had made a point of view violation. Yes, a violation!
I didn't fully understand this part of writing craft. Was I telling the story in first person?

I picked up the knitting needles and cast on

Or am I the omniscient narrator?

Kelly was terrified of losing a stitch on her knitting project. She glanced over at Josie. Lenny who was just getting used to holding his needles gripped even tighter when he saw Josie's look of disapproval. 

My final choice for writing my novel was the limited third person narrator. It allowed me to go deeper into each character and still change point of view with a simple line break.

Kelly felt her sweaty hands tighten on the knitting needle. If she lost a stitch and it started to unravel she would have to quit.

*********
Josie noticed Kelly struggle to get her needle into the loop on her needle. Why was she so tense? 



A knit designer must choose a point of view, too. She holds the big picture in her head of how the knitted object will look when finished but at the same time she must write the instructions in a piece meal fashion to keep the knitter secure in each section of the pattern.
My favorite knit designer, Victorious Wool, chooses several approaches to communicate her directions. She uses words but also pictures and diagrams. 

So again, writing a novel is like knitting if you compare how each pursuit uses words and pictures to tell a story.

Go To Next Day

 Click here to get an index page.


1 comment:

  1. I can see there are similar challenges in both of these in holding the big picture in your head while also focusing on the detail of the part you're working on.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?