Friday, October 25, 2019

I Have Some Favorite Themes For Writing And Knitting

31 Days In October 






Perhaps the rule of thumb needs to be; use what you have. Let the pens run dry and use up all the yarn balls.


 Day 25-

My novels are thematic. The first one, Rubato, is about a Franz Liszt scholar who dies mysteriously when an original Liszt manuscript disappears. I can't help writing about the piano and piano teaching. It is what I do for a living. 
The second novel, The Gymnopédist, is about a young boy who loves the music of Erik Satie and is inspired by the composer's eccentricities to fulfill his dream of doing a high wire walk from one tower to the other in his home town. The wire breaks. Was it intentional? 

The rough draft of the beginning of this second novel can be found here if care to have a look.

In both books I get to highlight a beautiful piece of music and  and create a mystery to solve with two detectives who struggle to keep their relationship professional.
I really love this theme.

In knitting I also have a theme I love.
The piece of clothing is called a capelet and the stitches include cable and lace.


I have finished five of them and gifted three. Each one is unique in color scheme.


The best thing about having a favorite theme is the structure. I can know what I am creating and get adventuresome with the inside details.

Go to the next day

1 comment:

  1. I love how you incorporate music into your writing. I used to play Satie's Gymnopedie and it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?