Monday, August 24, 2020

Chemo Side Effect Helps

Day 24-
“Did you notice the smile on a cancer patient's face after the last treatment?
That's the smile you want on your face.” 
― Lawrence Wray




I'm working to get through that gate. On the bench I'll rest for a while and then I have intention of walking along that path of good health.
So where am I today?

I've just had the fifth treatment of strong chemo drugs. I have one more to go and then the third drug, not chemo, but a target drug will be given every three weeks until May 2021. Radiation is on the horizon in the Fall.

I am a person that looks for patterns. Mostly I crave some consistency. I have carefully watched my reactions to chemo to find some predictability. It has taken me this long to feel like I know the name of my chemo drugs, know what the intended reason for using them, and know the side effects they create in my body.

Technically, I've had this information for months and months but I just couldn't read the reams of paper without feeling afraid. If you tell me that there is a possibility of a side effect I will look for it.
Not a good idea.

Here are some helps that are working to offset the side effects in my body.

  • Push liquids through your system just like they tell you. Your body will want to reject these drugs and it will need to eliminate most of the fluids that are injected into your bloodstream. Lots of liquids help the dizziness and feeling of bodily instability.
  • Drinking two ounces of Aloe Vera juice twice a day helps to cool the mucous system that is on fire because of the inflammatory response your body launches.
  • Gargle with salt water many times a day. That helps the mouth stay less reactive and prevents sores form forming there.
  • Walk every day. That seems weird on some days when I feel dizzy but I just grab my walking stick and go as far as I feel I can. 
  • Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and little meat. Some days the chemicals in your mouth change the way foods taste but I try to enjoy the summer fruits that are here now.
  • A foot bath in the evening of very warm water with apple cider vinegar and shaved ginger root keeps my feet from swelling and hurting.
  • Prepare for sleep by winding down at night. No stimulating reading, watching, or thinking. I listen to my Calm App and let it tell me a story to bring sleep more easily. 
These are just a few ideas. Mainly I want you to know that there are solutions to most issues. The solution may only be temporary but today is the day to survive.



1 comment:

  1. Your spirit ia light in a dark closet, and amazing light.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?