Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Vulnerability Is Tied To Wholeheartedness

Day 18-
I spent a lot of years trying to outrun or outsmart vulnerability by making things certain and definite, black and white, good and bad. My inability to lean into the discomfort of vulnerability limited the fullness of those important experiences that are wrought with uncertainty: Love, belonging, trust, joy, and creativity to name a few. - Brene Brown



Confession


 I have a confession. Since corona virus quarantine I’ve become a hermit. I don’t go anywhere or engage with anyone in person. My piano teaching happens online, with my best efforts to ask questions and draw each student out a little bit.

  My real interactions with strangers happen when I go to the infusion center to get Chemo.

There twenty to thirty people sit six feet apart. Extroverts make the interactions playful and even the more introverted patients smile while the nurses joke and tease. 


My confession is that this experience is more enjoyable than I let on in my family. I try not to play the cancer card as a way to get more attention but I do like the way my husband and daughter pat me on the back and tell me how brave I am. Little do they know that this is a fairly happy place and I am hungry for real people and real conversation.




I think our capacity for wholeheartedness can never be greater than our willingness to be broken-hearted. It means engaging with the world from a place of vulnerability and worthiness. -Brene Brown



Back To Table Of Contents


2 comments:

What do you think?