Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Chemo Port

Day-12
Tethered 

A ship may safely anchor in a port 
Or even have an opening 
Where it’s possible to view the transport 

But is it wise for me to have one here 
Underneath my skin, so measured 
To make it possible, without fear 
To let chemo enter? I am tethered.

Next stop, a small surgery to put in a chemo port.
I understand the need. If the veins in my arms were to receive hours of infusions over a long period of time it could become problematic. But understanding this procedure was different than having the port placed and then seeing and feeling the port everyday on my chest. It was just weird. 


The physician's assistant who placed the port was really very engaging and interesting. He explained the procedure and when I asked him if I would be asleep during the placement he answered that I would not. 

"You'll hear us talking, but won't feel a thing." he said.

"What drug are you using?", I asked.

"It is a drug called Fentanyl." 

I laughed. How funny that in a recent murder mystery I was writing, the drug injected to kill my victim was Fentanyl.

I explained to him that I could call this procedure writer's research since in truth I had no idea what this drug really was or how it was used legally or illegally. 

"Well, we don't get it off the streets." he joked.

It worked very well. I heard him chatting with the nurses about his son learning to play the cello. He said that as his son improved he himself was opening up to the world of classical music. I remember that the music in the background was all famous cello pieces. I recognized the Bach Cello Suite played by Yo Yo Ma particularly.

I went home from that experience with some editing ideas for my novel and a weird bump underneath the skin on my chest where I would be receiving life saving drugs.



Go To Day 13

Back To Table Of Contents 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?