Tuesday, August 25, 2020

What Is An Underdog?

                          Day 25-
    A competitor thought to have little chance of winning a fight or contest is the underdog.


Twenty years ago the type of breast cancer I have was considered extremely dangerous. There was little chance of winning the fight. But with a new drug and combination of treatments I will be able to rise up out of this sentence.


"This is not a new story, but it is one worth remembering. Most women with breast cancer are aware of the "miracle drug" Herceptin/Trastuzumab. It has changed the prognosis for women with this kind of breast cancer from an often lethal disease to one that can often be effectively treated. I have heard several oncologists say that it has "leveled the playing field" for women with HER2-positive breast cancer as compared to those with other types of the disease. One oncologist even told me that, if she is ever diagnosed with breast cancer, she hopes that it is HER2-positive. This is a strong statement that reflects the incredible impact a single drug breakthrough can make."

When I fight a hard battle I like to have an anthem running in my head. A song that I choose especially for this time of my life. I stumbled onto Alicia Key's song Underdog and immediately reacted to her words. I am not homeless, not a single mother, not a doctor on the frontline, but I am a fighter who feels that I will be able to rise up from under this shadow of disease. 

Today is the twenty fifth day of writing about my walk with cancer. I feel that I am current with the story but it is not finished. I have many miles to go and I know I will add stories in the future. Thank you for reading along. Thank you for your encouraging words. It has cheered me and given me hope to rise up and live my life to the fullest. 




She was walking in the street, looked up and noticed
He was nameless, he was homeless
She asked him his name and told him what hers was
He gave her a story 'bout a life
With a glint in his eye and a corner of a smile
One conversation, a simple moment
The things that change us if we notice
When we look up, sometimes
They said I would never make it
But I was built to break the mold
The only dream that I've been chasing is my own
So I sing a song for the hustlers trading at the bus stop
Single mothers waiting on a check to come
Young teachers, student doctors
(Cancer patients)
Doctors on the frontline knowing they don't get to run
This goes out to the underdog on keeping at what you love
You'll find that someday soon enough
You will rise up, rise up,…



2 comments:

  1. Gabriele, it is such a gift that you share this window into your journey. Thank you for being vulnerable and open. I hear your voice and treasure sharing these brief visits with you. Hugs and love as you continue to rise up...

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?