Saturday, August 8, 2020

Two Surgeries After Christmas

Day 7-

"I did have a moment of, “if I do the lumpectomy and two years later the breast cancer is back, am I going to second-guess myself?” But the more I spoke with my doctors, I realized there are so many things that go into why you get cancer. I thought, I have to treat the disease I have now, rather than the disease I’m worried I might have 10 years from now."
"Why I Said No To Mastectomy and Yes To A Lumpectomy"
Huff Post, June 28. 2013


Choosing a Lumpectomy over a Mastectomy was a prayer filled decision I made with my husband. I called the surgeon back after our appointment and told him I wanted to conserve my breast, to restore it to it's once healthy state.
The surgery happened the day after Christmas and I went home  late afternoon. 
I met a very kind anesthesiologist who recounted the story of his grandmother having breast cancer in her late sixties and then living another twenty years. He was so very positive and upbeat.


The one oddity happened after surgery, during recovery. By Christmas I had made it through four weeks off sugar and flour. I was through the first week of coming off my addiction and was finally feeling less desire for the sweet stuff. In recovery they offered me a snack since I had been fasting before surgery. All the options had tons of sugar. I wanted to yell out loud,
"I just had cancer surgery! Don't you have a piece of fruit or a vegetable?"
Obviously, there is a disconnect in the medical world between research results and day to day procedures.

After the second surgery I brought my own snack.
Yes, the surgeon did another surgery two weeks later to take another little part of cancer "insitu", a small cancerous section still within the milk duct. 
The tissue healed well and then I met with a really amazing radiologist.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?