Monday, August 3, 2020

Inviting My Loved Ones To Weigh In


Day Two-
In time of test, family is best. 
— Burmese Proverb


Not everyone who faces cancer has a supportive family. I realize that and mourn for those going through this relatively alone. 

The next day I talked with my husband and we reached out to our five grown children. Everyone assured me that it would be nothing serious and I liked the sound of that. My son came over to give me a Priesthood Blessing. In times like these reaching up is as important as reaching out. If the word priesthood is new to you, in this context, let me define it as the power of God on the earth. In my church this power is administered by men but all men, women, and children have access to this power. In some settings women play an administrative role in facilitating priesthood power. My husband and my son enabled this power to be active in my healing and my role in it was to receive this power and be open to the instructions given through the Holy Ghost.


My faith in Jesus Christ as a healer is strong. I wanted him to know I required healing and I needed assurances that what I would feel and then act upon would be in accordance to his will. The words my son spoke in his prayer, under inspiration of the Holy Spirit, have stayed with me for the last nine months. I wrote them down.
In his blessing he told me 
  • The treatment would work and I needed to give feedback to my medical professionals about how my body was doing.
  • I would receive more knowledge of my standing before God.
  • I would develop more faith in my Savior Jesus Christ.
To be honest I wanted more information about the first bullet point but now I see that the second and third bullet points have  come to pass and have guided this journey.

As I look back I knew so little nine months ago about what I was in for and tomorrow I will write on this blog about my struggle to get a diagnostic mammogram. I had to advocate for myself early on this journey.





2 comments:

  1. I"m so grateful for the priesthood. Working in the temple, I've learned so much more about my role in the priesthood. So many times, God has spoken to me through a priesthood blessing or through the priesthood power of the Holy Ghost. I'm sorry that you have been given this trial in a way. However, neither you nor I would likely give up everything learned through trial. A life like that would be boring and rather meaningless. Still...those trials are sometimes kinda HUGE! hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Ginger. You are right. The lessons learned through trial are essential albeit difficult.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?