Friday, August 14, 2020

Then Covid-19 Hit The World

Day 13

"We can learn from this when faced with turbulence in our own lives. When things are really tough and the situation is changing fast, tucking in our wings, scaling back commitments and retreating into what is most important can help to cushion the blow."- Beth Kempton "We Are All In This Together'


My last appointment with the oncologist and his PA before starting chemo was scheduled March 13. Our governor instituted a statewide quarantine. Schools closed. I had been changing the procedures with my piano students over those weeks; hand sanitizer at the door before entering my home and wiping down the piano after every student. I started scrambling to figure out how to teach piano online. How in the world could I start chemotherapy? I sent an e-mail to my doctor and told him I wanted to postpone. His nurse e-mailed back that he thought I should show up to the March 13th appointment. 

I felt scared and confused.
My daughter and I went to that appointment in masks. We sat across the desk from the PA, who was also masked, while she rehearsed in great detail each drug I would receive and the potential side effects. In my head I was screaming NO, not now. I told the PA how I felt and that I would likely stay with my decision to delay.

"Will the doctor fire me if I choose to wait?" I asked.
She laughed. "No, but I can't see it getting any better soon."

I needed assurances but I could tell the medical world couldn't give me any because they had no idea what was going to happen. 

I turned to my heavenly source and prayed to know how to proceed. I felt a calmness when I made the decision to postpone. I would let things unfold until May. 
With that decision made, I turned my attention to figuring out how to teach piano online effectively and how to maneuver in a world without toilet paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?