Sunday, August 2, 2020

Finding The Tumor

           The largest, deepest river is de Nial



In the hours before morning I reach my right arm across my chest. There is something firm within my left breast. I turn to the other side. It's nothing. But, this nothing is keeping me awake. Gingerly I do a self exam, fingertips going centimeter by centimeter. Yes, there it is. Off to the left of the nipple is a hard marble shaped lump. It's nothing. I turn to the other side and squeeze my eyes shut tight. My world begins to shift just a little. My husband's breath is steady beside me, in and out and I try to match it's rhythm. Shall I wake him? No, I don't want to say the words out loud. Something is wrong but I don't want to know. It could be lumpy tissue or a cyst. Nothing to worry about, just go to sleep. Tomorrow I'll see if it is still there and consider telling my husband what I've found.

I wait 
There is something growing in my breast 
I wait to learn the truth.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?